I don't think you've "demonstrated" anything here Jim, and would question the placement of this in the beginners forum. Frankly, in my experience there is a lot of very good lighter weight gear out there that is very appropriate in many situations. It's also quite durable when you pick the right stuff, (and of course here's the key) use it correctly. But then again "use it correctly" is the trick with any piece of gear.

Outdoor gear stores are full of salespeople who will reiterate the same mantra to oversell gear, I call it the "what if you take it to Everest" scenario - selling beginners on the huge four season tent when they are going nowhere near a place where such a thing is needed, Mountaineering gear when they are going nowhere near anything like an alpine climb. etc. etc.

Is there a place for such gear, Absolutely! but it's not everywhere, or frankly, even most places. To me Lightweight backpacking is about realisticly understanding what your needs are for the situation you are putting yourself in, knowing what your comfort level is, and most importanly, thinking about everything you are taking so you are not taking *extra junk* but are taking *everything* important.

But calling ultralight gear inferior? I disagree, in most cases, *for the purpose it is designed for*. Would I camp on an exposed ridge with 100 km/h winds and snow load in a shires Tarptent? - no. But that sure doesn't mean I need to take and carry such a thing and carry it constantly even when I expect to be nowhere near such an area.
Browse my pictures