Originally Posted By Jimshaw
Many people quoted me using half of my sentence in order to carefully skip the meaning and to demonstrate their own point.

Please, show me where your original meaning was taken out of context and I will gladly apologize and correct the post.

The purpose of the post was to tell beginners that if they think they have the right gear because it falls under some artificial weight concept _ like 12 pounds, that they might have been fooled by others into taking too light of gear.

Nobody argued any other way. Weight is secondary to purpose.

The montebell sweater is nice, its just not a winter down coat.

YMMV-- for many people it is a fine winter parka and FWIW-- all clothing should be purchase for layering purposes. So yes, this parka is meant to be layered.

If its going to rain, I take rain gear capable of keeping me dry, not a poncho. When its going to be cold, I take a warm sleeping bag. If I'm going to be melting a lot of snow, I take a heavy duty stove.

Obviously, but just like you heavy rain coat the poncho as its place in a pack also. Short spring/summer showers spring to mind. You take a bag that is relative to expected temps-- +20 is fine for three-seasons and is what everyone advocates. Warmth does not come at the expense of weight. My FF Swift is 18oz and is fine to 18degrees with the correct pad.

Stove was mentioned-- I take a whisperlite and 1.5L pot in the winter, but why would I take this during spring/winter/fall when a 0.3oz alky stove and 2.2oz pot is more than adaquate. Again, pick the right gear for the right occasion.

When I go into the mountains during a winter storm warning I carry a 4 season mountain tent. My 8 pound TFN mountain 24 IS a better tent that your tarp, although I generally take my Bibler, the TNF is the correct choice for some trips.

Really, are we flogging a dead horse here Jim? Comparing a four-season tent to a three-season tarp is like comparing apples and oranges.

A tent is a better tent that a tarp, but a tarp is a better tarp than a tent.

Why I am going to carry an 8lb winter tent in the fall or summer or spring, when a 10oz tarp is just fine? No-one is arguing against using a winter tent, in winter!

No one is saying not to use the correct tool for the job-- but you Jim, or obviously full of bias.

Jim, please take off those rose-tinted glasses.