Originally Posted By balzaccom

But frankly, I am tired of backpackers who always know what works best. Different equipment works better in some places than others, and in some seasons better than others. Some people don't mind an additional couple of pounds in their packs (my wife always takes two books!) and others like to go as light as possible.

And as long as they get out into the woods and enjoy the experience, the rest of us should probably shut up about it. And all of our advice should carry the warning, YMMV. Your mileage may vary!

I agree, my wife is my main backpacking partner and she loves her comforts! Combine that with our 3 year year old lab retreiver and any weight savings is gone-- but you know what, it is worth everything extra pound that have to carry to have those who mean the most to me, experience what I love. I would rather carry that six pound, three person, double walled tent on my own back than not have my love ones enjoy the outdoors.

So am I am the first to admit that a tarp+bivy is not for everyone, but given the choice my SpinnTwinn is the pack over that 6 pounder.