Before we get into an acrimonious debate of conventional versus lightweight gear, let's take a deep breath and look at the basic philosophy behind lightweight backpacking. To me, the main idea is to carry with you a thought-out and carefully considered inventory of gear. What this means is that every item in ones pack has been examined through the filter of 1) do I need it?; 2) if so, is it as light as possible given my specific criteria and the specific trip that I am taking?; and 3) what should I have with me as insurance in case things turn bad?

What this boils down to is that a particular individual may feel better with a somewhat heavier piece of gear than is the lightest available. I am guilty of this; I prefer a double-wall tent over a tarp and I like a more substantial parka/rain jacket than many use. I don't like hammocks and I don't use hiking poles. I like a pack with some sort of suspension system. With all of this, my three season gear (including camera, Ipod and book BTW) weighs about 12 pounds. All of my choices are well thought out for me and the places I go.

I am reasonably experienced (or possibly have one years experience repeated over sixty times). Most of my experience has been in the western mountains where the weather is unpredictable at best. I have camped with a tarp for longer than many on this forum have been alive and make no apology for now preferring a tent. Some of my old 600 fill down gear is heavier than the newer, lighter stuff but it is also warm and much more robust than the newer 800 or 900 fill gear. I use one or the other depending on what I anticipate and don't begrudge the extra weight.

Ultra-lite gear does take more care. This is fine if you are well fed and well rested. But, if things go sour and a storm hits, and you barely have the energy to make camp after trying to out-hike the weather, then the heavier and more robust gear might serve you better and keep you warmer longer.

I agree with both of the above posters; go with what your experience tells you you need. Beyond that, don't judge another hiker until you know why they have made the decisions they have made.