Wow Jim, I never thought that I would hear such bias. I mean really, wow.

Originally Posted By Jimshaw

You are much better off with a heavier set of gear that works and is durable and warm and dry, than by meeting any body else's weight considerations.

Why take a 50lb fully-loaded pack, when a sub 25lb pack works too just as well. With the correct knowledge and experience you will stay warm, dry, safe and your gear will last you a lifetime.

I decided to spend the bucks and get a modern jacket with 850 down and ultralight shell material, but no zipper cover or snaps anywhere.

Do you really need a zipper cover or snaps? UL gear takes all the bells and whistles that are nothing more than marketing gimics off of products. The jacket still has premium 850 fill, but is lighter because it omits features that are not really needed.

Perhaps it is your rose-tinted glasses that make one of the best down jackets on the market not warm enough. I mean really; I have been down to around 30 degrees in mine with just a Capilene 3 baselayer underneath.

With tents, modern tents have given up on many extras to produce tents that are an ounce lighter than the competitors. They now put super thin bottoms on tents so they weigh less, then sell you a tent footprint.

Again, "extras"-- bells and whistles which are not really needed.

Footprints are another marketing gimic that are redundent. Again, knowledge and expierence of camp-site selection eliminates the need. Use your common sense-- move sharp rocks, sticks etc.

4 pound tent will not function as well nor be as durable or water tight as the old heavy tent.

Jim, that is such rubbish and you know it. Way to slap everyone such as Henry in the face.

Don't shoot for a 12 pound or 5 pound pack unless you are prepared to have a bunch of flimsy delicate gear

Really, my SpinnTwinn tarp, bivy, Feathered Friend's bag, G4 pack, Ti pot etc have lasted me many, many years and even more miles-- I have done the CT twice and CDT once-- nothing broke, I survied, stayed warm and dry. Even without those beloved zipper covers.

because it seems lighter to buy a sleeping bag without a water proof shell and if manufacturers did put durable waterproof shells on them they would be too heavy to sell to the UL crowd, again, you get less because it weighs less, not more.

Really Jim, if you had a fully waterproof sleeping bag, then why even bother to bring a tent or tarp? Just sleep out in the open with a mossy net-- if you do sleep in a tent or under a tarp, then isn't a waterproof bag pointless? You are already protected from the rain, are you not? Perhaps you are careless with your gear.

Again, I mean really Jim-- who does sleep out in the open in any bag? Waterproof or not. Synthetic or down. You protect your bag with a tent or tarp-- if you use the latter, than people also use a bivy. What is wrong with that? I don't spend half the the night looking for a level flat surface with enough space to pitch a tent. I am also 5 miles into my hike the next morning before most with "real" tents have even been taken down and stuffed back into an 80L pack.

Jim, you are so far off the mark that it is even funny. What is important to demonstrate to beginners is the necessary skills and knowledge required to be safe in the outdoors. When deciding on gear, pick that which is better suited for your needs and over-time, experience will really help you decide what is unnessary.

If you are going to help beginners, then please be un-biased. I have carried both 50lbs and 20lbs packs. I know which I prefer from experience. But, hey according to you, my light gear will kill me and I should only venture out in the summer.