Here's a place to find out about the EU's EN13537 ratings for sleeping bags. Go down a ways to "how to understand...."

Most American companies don't even use them; you could check their .uk sites but I wouldn't be surprised if some make different bags for the European market. For those that do use the EN ratings (REI is one), they often give only one rating--note that there are three. I strongly suspect that the one EN rating shown may be the "survival" rating--the one at which, if you're lucky, you won't die of hypothermia before morning. Just for fun, I asked a clerk at REI Friday which EN 13537 rating their bags used and he didn't have any idea what I was talking about! It has been noted that different European labs have produced different ratings for the same bag, so even their system is not all that accurate. But these ratings are certainly a lot more objective than the completely fictional ratings that many US companies use. But if you see an EN rating advertised, find out which rating it is before you trust it! Personally, I'd want the comfort rating for women plus 5 degrees F, but I am, admittedly, a COLD sleeper!

From my own experience and discussion with others, Western Mountaineering, Feathered Friends and Nunatak have accurate if not conservative ratings even though they don't use the EN standard. Marmot and Montbell high-end bags are (by several accounts including mine) about 5* off, and by accounts from warmer sleepers are just right. None of these are cheap! Of course the European bags sold in this country (most of them extremely expensive) should show all three EN13537 ratings on their label or at least their website. If they don't, be very suspicious!

Edited by OregonMouse (04/19/10 01:35 AM)