I fashioned an air intake controller - very rough - but it worked, and it made a difference. One quart of water came to a rolling boil at 11:00 flat. It had started to burn too fast, and I restricted the air, and the flame stayed on the bottom of the pot. My apparatus this morning wasn't readily adjustable, but if it had been, I would have been able to make minute adjustments to it to keep the flame just so.

There was a lot of blue at first, and then the flames were bright orange. I need to experiment with the stove screen: spacing, height, openings, etc. But the intake adjustment gizmo will be super.

I fed a couple sticks per minute into the stove and maintained a smoke-free rolling boil for 35 minutes. There was little wind, and I didn't use a pot screen. I discovered that there was an easy rythym of adding sticks, and that this stove likes sticks about finger size. I had to use my pocket knife to score around the bigger sticks and then snap them - just barely! Used to be I could snap small trees with my hands, now I have to use a knife on kindling. I'll for sure need this knife in my gear list. Might even sharpen it some.

My design shows a stove that will be 4" in diameter, with 3 pieces that use tabs and slots to twist and lock into place. The total height from ground to pot bottom is 9 and 1/2". The three sections and the stove screen will dismantle and fit inside the 4" diameter can with a 4 and 5/8" height. The three parts will be made of tin cans. I fit the 1/2" hardware cloth better, and it may do. There's no other wire, no nuts or bolts, duct tape, or gum. The sucker ought to be light. Sorry, no picture today. It's too ugly, being patched and wired together for testing of this and that.

Okay, off toward Jay Mountain for a little test of the legs. Wish I had a cannister so I can take some cold coffee and my pocket Rocket with me. This test wood stove is a big rattly, falling-apart conglomeration of rusted old crap I found laying around in my basement. ha. It would rip my Miwok or fall apart and get lost somewhere. But it's perfect for experiments.

Okay, I'll add a picture I took for a friend last night, maybe two.

Attachments
3.jpg