As I always say, I don't envy anyone who is just starting out this is the sport because the expense can become astronomical-- you can drop $40 on just 20 flies for an afternoon on the river. However, once you are all geared up the cost is minimal (gas money etc).

For learning how to cast: look on YouTube, there are some excellent instructional videos on there. Join social networks (meetup.com etc). This is a great way to make new friends, learn new techniques and waters as well work out what equipment you really need.

At home, head out into your garden and cast, cast, cast. You could probably get the backcast and roll cast down (at least good enough to catch fish) in a short afternoon. Besides casting, practice your knots: namely the improved cinch (tippet to fly) and Surgeon's Knot (tippet to tippet or leader)-- again, there are great videos available.

However the best advice I can give is to call into your local fly-shop and inquire about any courses/clinics being offered that will teach you the basics of knot tying, rod rigging, fly selection and casting basics. For your first time out, I would also consider hiring a guide who knows the waters, can offer information, work with on your technique, provide some gear and put you onto fish!

As for rod/reel combos. Look on Cabelas.com for some budget deals and again call around your area for deals. My local flyshop currently as an Orvis Clearwater II rod, Ross Flycast 2 reel, Rio flyline and a Rio leader for $250. For a first rod, I would go to an actual store and try them out-- what feels good in my hands, may not in yours.

When you are BP/FF ounce counting becomes a fruitless exercise. The gear I take weighs around 8lb-- I could knock off around 5lbs if I switched to wet-wading.

Edited by ChrisFol (03/08/10 03:13 PM)