I have a Clark North American jungle hammock that is just amazing. It weighs in a 2lbs 15 oz (not counting the tree straps). This is my third hiking hammock, and only the second jungle hammock. The first was simple, feather-light, and cheap. In the right temperature, it was just beautiful sleeping. I gave it up after one night of shivering through an unexpected spring rainstorm. The next one I tried was a heavy mil. surplus-style jungle hammock. It was beastly heavy and, while it kept me dry, did a horrible job of keeping me warm or even upright. I can't imagine how anyone uses those.

I don't really consider myself an ultra-light backpacker, but I do like to keep my pack reasonably light. I loved not having to juggle tent, sleeping pad, and sleeping bag. My last ditch effort to swing in the breeze was the Clark.

Most of my gear is either self-made or modified from scavenging yard sales, pawn shops, and surplus stores. I'm hideously cheap when it comes to my gear. I only say that because this is the single-most expensive piece of gear in my pack. . . and it is worth every penny. I sleep like a baby no matter what is happening outside. I hike mostly in the Ozarks and have had it in temperatures as low as 15 degrees, in snow and rain. I've never had a cold night. During winter and early spring hikes, I'll bring a 0-degree bag with me. I've had mornings where there will be frost or snow on the outside of the hammock - but inside was almost muggy. The hammock itself is so well designed that I've only been able to find two spots where I get temperature leaks - right where the zippers join at the top. Usually it is a welcome bit of fresh air, but on the coldest night I just draped a bandanna over the spot.

Sleep and comfort are very personal, as has been said, but with my hammock I can sleep on my side and shift position many times during the night without tipping or even swinging much - my back and knees feel so much better than when I sleep on the ground, even with a pad - and in the morning I can sit on the hammock and cook breakfast & coffee while staying dry no matter what is happening around me. I love the folks I backpack with, so I try not to look too contented in the mornings as I watch them squatting on a wet log huddled under their windbreakers as they wait for their water to boil.

My oldest son is 5 now and will join me on his first overnight this spring. I'm already saving up to get a Clark for him.