Hey Shrike,
Sorry I've not gotten back with you before now...... busy week thank goodness! Business has been so slow I almost forgot what work is. Now I remember and love it!

I'm not in the best of areas for finding such items to rent, but I will check into that. I do however always pay close attention to weight. I use a Kelty Corrie 1 tent, which is a little over 3 lbs., Deuter 60+10 ACT Zero pack which gives me plenty of space at a low weight, etc. I bought a pair of Kayland Zephyrs last summer and have never owner a pair of boots I loved more! They are light weight, extremely breathable which is great cause I sweat like there's no tomorrow and waterproof for sure. Bottom line is weight is a major concern for me...... proven by my recent back surgery, and I do pay close attention. Second in importance is quality. I am required by decreasing income, to watch my dollars and therefore may pay a little extra to get something that I can expect to last a little while. As far as a backup is concerned, whew........ for now I guess a bandanna and boiling will have to do. I take extreme care of my stuff in every effort to not have to replace it too soon..... but as you are indicating.... things do happen. Wish our equipment didn't cost so much. HAHAHAHAH!!!! It could be worse though. Sailing is a good example! Boats come in 3 dimensions: Length, Width, and Debt. :>O If it's fun, it's gonna cost ya!

Thanks again for the suggestions and thoughts. Very much appreciated.