And all I can say is, you used the wrong hammock.

My hammock(s) did not curve. And responsible hammockers do not damage trees, which is why we all recommend those heavy straps you tie off to.

ETA: This is not to imply you should have used the "right" hammock... you did what so many other people do, jump off the learning curve before it worked. And I'm not about to suggest that anyone force themselves to keep buying/trying hammocks, or beat you over the head with all the thousands of years of people lying (laying?) flat in hammocks... but I posted primarily because these are common beliefs about hammocks, and they aren't true. Hammocks don't HAVE to damage trees, just like tents don't HAVE to damage fragile alpine meadow plant life, but both frequently happen, and it is a shame that it does. But all I can do is spread the word and ask people to move their tents off the grass, or get better hammock suspension.

I could have kept trying tents and sleeping pads until I found something that worked for me - the reasons I went to hammocks probably could have been mitigated by an Exped downmat, a large light colored dome tent, and a quilt that I already have. But for me, hammocking is actually far lighter than that solution. I toss, turn, roll and thrash on the ground, and if I manage to fall asleep I wake up minutes later having rolled off the pad onto the cold ground, or some part of my body gets pushed against the tent wall. In a hammock I sleep so well that I can sleep on my back (does NOT happen in bed, even, shocked me to death when I woke up that way one morning, and this is a story common among hammockers) and do not thrash around as much. The leg problem I have now is hyperextension, where I point my toes and thrust my legs out straight until I get a charlie horse. This is solved by rolling on my side and pulled one knee up, hooking my arm under it, so it's higher than my navel but not pulled tight against my chest. Why does this work? How do I sleep like this? NO clue. It just works. And the hammock lets me do whatever I need to, sprawl and roll and does not close me into a tube, otherwise THAT would freak me out (claustrophia!).

I don't base any of this solely on my experience, tho I am talking extensively about me - who else do I have the right to talk about endlessly? I spent a lot of time reading at hammock forums, and find that I have a lot in common with others who've gotten off the ground as well. There are people who can mix and match and sleep on the ground, and those who only go where they can hang a hammock - it all depends on why you got out of the tent in the first place.

http://hikeandbackpack.com