It's hard to recommend - personal preferences rule when it comes to gear, right?

Jacks R Better has a bridge hammock. This is sort of like a fabric bathtub, but dead easy to use and probably best if you stomach sleep. You can put spreader bars (trekking poles do well as multi use items here) in the ends and sleep like you're in bed.

Clark Hammocks are popular but expensive. So if budget is key, they might not make your list. The Clark Vertex is probably the most feasible two person hammock solution around, however, short of simply hanging two hammocks under an extra large tarp. Clark also wouldn't likely be what an ultralight backpacker would favor. But, they are pretty bomber and have storage pockets underneath.

I have a Warbonnet Blackbird. There's a simpler version called the Traveler that's just a gathered end hammock. Warbonnet is a cottage industry, which I favor, and domestic (Colorado!), which I also favor - some larger brand types send the work overseas, Brandon makes gear in his garage. The Blackbird is the current favorite at hammock forums, due to it being so very comfortable; while not appreciably larger in size than some of the heavier Hennessy models, it manages due to the footbox and shelf and two tie outs to give lots of room to sprawl and store stuff. There are two options for suspension - I had the straps which were dead easy to use even if you can't tie knots, and very easy to adjust, but I have since swapped out strapping for something called a whoopie sling, which takes off some of the weight while allowing me a broad range of adjustability. You can get the Warbonnet hammocks in single or double layer - double layer hammocks give you a pad pocket to keep your pad in place and provide fabric between you and the ccf, if you are using a top quilt. The double layer also provides a flatter lay for bigger folks. Brandon will customize somewhat on request and put the footbox on the right side or put the zipper on the other side, your preference.

Hennessy are the hammocks most folks are familiar with - I had one for a while but sold it shortly after I got the Blackbird. Most of these are bottom entry, but Tom Hennessy added a model with a side zipper recently. (I think that's kind of funny as he did so long after some folk set up a small cottage industry retrofitting Hennessys with side zips.) The bottom entry didn't thrill me, and neither did the fact that manufacture went overseas. Tom is also sort of... well. There's threads at hammockforums talking about his special approach to the hammock business. The positives of these hammocks: he can give some pretty good deals, like a free scout hammock (good for smaller stature folk or kids) with the order of an expedition, and there's the out-of-the-box package - you can get a whole hammock-tarp-insulation setup and be hanging the night you get it ... but that's also the negative. If you end up with the tiny stock tarp and hang it from the hooks on the hammock suspension as instructed, you have a sagging tarp. And the figure 8 wrap is cool once you get it, but sometimes people have trouble with that. Good to do a little research before you buy one.

Claytor has a huge following too. They're pretty straightforward hammocks, and affordable. I almost got one myself. Not one of the innovators in the field, but good quality.

Speer has a great selection of gear, and of the stuff to DIY your own setup. I would love to have a Peapod if not for the claustrophobia thing. Speer tarps are frequently used with other brands/types of hammock, I have one very similar to his winter tarp. Speer also wrote a book on hammocking that is highly recommended to anyone contemplating taking up hammock camping.

Grand Trunk has a bunch of options - the Skeeter Beater, the travel hammock, and the Nano, which is new and an ultralighter's dream - 6.7 ounces! But you will add some weight with straps to make it LNT. It's narrower than I would like, but if you hang with sufficient sag it might work for people of average height.

ENO (Eagles Nest) is often for sale in REI. Your basic gathered end hammock. Easy to find, easy to try, not so easy to figure out how to be comfortable as you like unless you're a hammocker already. Byers of Maine is also often in REI, but not recommended by me as the end suspension becomes a knotted nightmare, and unless you want to DIY something different it's not ideal.

Were I suggesting features to someone who's never hammocked, I would recommend a gathered end with a ridgeline and removable bugnet. The ridgeline helps you hang the hammock with a consistent amount of sag so you can sleep comfortably. Suspension can be simple as you like, as long as you can get it at a 30 degree angle from tree to hammock you'll be fine. Hanging the foot end higher than the head end will allow you to lie flat in the hammock without sliding into a fetal position. All other considerations can be dealt with once you sort out your preferences.

There are brands I haven't mentioned. Subforums at hammockforums exist for most brands.

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2

http://hikeandbackpack.com