Originally Posted By Cstolworthy
Ok, so after researching the options here I am torn between the MSR Miniworks and the Platypus CleanStream Gravity Filter.

I really like the idea of the gravity fed system. However some of the reviews I am reading say while the water is clean it can come through discolored and a little brackish tasting. Really that (for me at least) is the biggest reason I lean more to the MSR.

Can anyone confirm / deny this claim? If it is true, does anyone have any experience rigging another filter inline to clean up the taste / color?

I have never experienced any discoloration or odd taste in the water when it has been filtered through my Cleanstream. Perhaps these users failed to backwash or change their cartridge prior to using it-- this is just my experience, and shouldn't be taken as anymore valuable than other experiences (positive or negative) that you have read.

As for rigging it, there is information out there about combining the sawyer system with that of the platypus to lighten up the system a little, but I have have not tried this and have no experience nor desire to do so.

Other gravity filter options are the Sawyer Complete Water System, MSR Hyper Flow and the cheapest option, Katadyn's Base Camp Filter.