@phat - Thanks for the suggestion. Tarptent was actually the starting point of my research into this project. Looks like a fairly simple design, but it's missing a few of the things I really need...well, want.

@frenchie- I really like this idea. There is a very good chance this is the route I will take. I am surprised (and a little disappointed in myself) that I didn't catch this when I was at the SMD site. I saw this model, but thought it was just a tarp.

I have a couple questions, if you don't mind.

- Do you have a problem with you or feet or head touching the top, thus risking getting wet from condensation? I guess you just have to make sure it's long enough. I am 5'10" and I have had this problem even in 7' dome tents. Wonder if 8' would be long enough...

-What material did you use for the floor? Silnylon 1.1? Is there something more rugged, yet lightweight that is waterproof?

-how did you attach the bug net to the top of the tarp? Or it fully enclosed in bug (no seem-ums) net? Even if it is fully enclosed, you still probably have to attach it at some point, so it doesn't droop, right?

I like the idea that I don't HAVE to use a trek pole, but have that option when mine are available. I don't think the sipper would be a problem.

Do you happen to have any of your design sketch ups or notes laying around that you might want to share?

Sorry for all the questions. I have rushed hastily into complicated projects before enough times to know you really have to do your research.