Some of you may remember a member called Polarpark who wrote to us once a few years ago. She and I write to each other about once a year and I am forwarding her letter and a photo. She lives very near the Arctic sea in a small town that was built in the Soviet era by prisoners and the "reindeer people" live nearby. She lives in a former Soviet apartment, but hunts and lives mostly like the natives.

She calls the bird a haselhen and says it is very good with cowberries.(Bonasa bonasia)(Note this is not a small grouse so I am still attempting to learn the identity of this fowl JS)

Hello, Jim.
You are right, I was guiding children ski group and we learned to bild snow wall around tent. This
winter we have abundance snow. Snowdrifts barrier cursory view from windows of ground floor. My
husband prefer to transpose by snowmobile. He is waiting April with hard snow to go on raindeer
hunting.
Our scoolchildren dress high boots and must go to school only along road. Skiing is a school
discipline in winter.
Our wild reindeers are very fearful (shy), I saw them only several time on the mountain passes. They
live in those place where reindeer moss grow. Last Sunday we selebrate reindeers holiday. Reindeers
teams (sleds) competed in speed on the main town street. Reindeer breders sold boots and slippers
from reindeers skin.

Fast spring coming to you.
Natalia

This is their "guide truck"

Edited by Jimshaw (01/09/10 09:11 PM)