I'm attempting an AT thru-hike this year myself. With no personal experience hiking in that part of the country, I at first was going to bring along the Ursack that I already own, but on reflection I'll start with none of the above to save that 8 oz, just bring a food sack and an odorproof liner and see how it works out.

If it turns out that rodents are getting to my food at all, I can have my wife mail out my Ursack. It will certainly depend on how often I sleep in or close to a shelter. Starting in late Feb with a poncho tarp I figure that I'll stay in a shelter when the weather is fairly nasty (wet) and there's space, but incline to stay a ways away from them otherwise. Maybe hang (not bear hang, just rodent hang) food where that seems logical, otherwise sleep with my food if away from well used campsites.

The great thing is that you can always change your mind as you go along. Perhaps just bring along the phone numbers for outsak and grub pack (I wouldn't incline to an Ursack unless I wanted to use it on other trails). If you decide you want one, call them, give your credit card number and tell them which post office to mail it to, general delivery to your name.