Howdy,

I'll be going up to the mountains either this week or next, but as this winter is especially cold I'm beginning to question my gear, in particular my sleeping bag.

I've done overnight trips in the mountains during winter before, half a dozen times or so. The temperature never got down below 20F though.

All of these trips I've used the same gear: My hammock, my crappy zero degree synthetic bag and a cheap fleece sleeping bag I use as a liner inside my bag. Oh and a long air mat.

All this does fine, but lately I've looked at the temperature in the mountains where we camp and it is hovering from 8-12 degrees at night.

I've hiked in that low of temperature, but never slept overnight in it so I'm wondering if I should stick with my normal set-up for sleeping.

Maybe I should get a cheap-o tent instead of using my hammock cause its colder sleeping in the air than on the nice insulating snow. Maybe I should get like a wool liner instead of a cheap fleece liner to up my warmth. That would sure beat buying a whole new sleeping bag. Or maybe, that is exactly what I need.

I'm not sure really. I would just like to hear some suggestions from people who have slept in these conditions I've spoken of.

Thanks,
Forester