Itcherling
The windstopper balaclava is too stiff to be comfortable and the screened mouth piece causes the water vapor from my breath to fog my glasses - definitely a problem if its so bad that I feel the need to wear it.

Self arrest poles are like - wow cool, then um when will I actually use these things? Like do you ski 60 degree slopes in the backcountry? There is always a way around thats not life threatening AND if you know how to use an ice axe, you can figure out how to self arrest with ski poles WITHOUT self arrest grips.

The dromedary bag is hard to get to while hiking, weighs more than an evian bottle, and doesn't hold enough water to make it worthwhile and its impossible to insulate it.

The whisperlite doesn't put out enough heat for winter, has lousy stability on those crummy folding legs, clogs easily and the heat output goes way down if it isn't cleaned as often as a gun.

Heck I read these posts to my wife and she said "I love to camp, I'm just not carrying a backpack ever again." So I actually took her to a great spot a mile in and hiked back for her pack, then did the same when we left, but when I go alone I can go much lighter, much higher, and climb rocks - she flips when I climb but to her credit, I have other friends who simply will not go if I throw in climbing shoes.

Jim YMMV crazy

Edited by Jimshaw (11/24/09 11:02 PM)