You really have to be careful about "survival knives" that have storage in the handle. The problem with them is that the blade is made without a shank and is thus not supported by the handle. I have seen many of this kind of knife break at the handle/blade junction; this is an unavoidable weakness of this type of knife, even those of otherwise good quality. Also, since most of these knives are designed to be sold at a fairly low price, the steel is generally of low grade and the workmanship is of mediocre quality, at best.

Personally, I would get a quality knife with a 3" laminated steel blade such as those by Brusletto of Norway. These blades hold an exceedingly sharp edge very well. I would carry my other survival gear in a sheath pouch or some other small pocket; not in the knife handle. RayWay sells a knife kit and a sheath kit featuring this type of blade. See:

http://www.rayjardine.com/ray-way/Knife-Kit/index.htm

Even though I make non-laminated, carbon steel knives I would recommend a laminated blade over the kind that I make. They are that much better.