Oh man, the swift-kick-and-exit-demand roust had me laughing out loud.

My spouse-to-be gamely tried backpacking with me on a couple of trips, but it's just not to be. If I can't dial in a destination that's a maximum of one hour from the car, boredom triumphs and it becomes like walking with an extremely smart nine-year-old. That, and her paperlike skin leads to the worst cases of burgerfoot I've ever witnessed.

However, the sterling flatware she packed in made for the finest al fresco dining experience, evah!

Cheers,

Originally Posted By Glenn
I also took my wife on two trips before she decided never to go again. They both happened the same weekend: her first and last trip.

It was a mixed group I was leading, with (I suspected) more than one hidden agenda. Her friend, who had never backpacked, told her to go - "we'll have a great time." I told her I didn't think the trip was for her. Naturally, she listened to her friend. To make a long story short, I ended happily sleeping under a tarp with a buddy (she and the friend used the tent I had packed in) listening to a gentle rain in the early morning - to be fully awakened by a boot in my shoulder and the endearing words, "Get me the h*** out of here." I did.

I feel your pain.