Originally Posted By kevonionia

. . . until I read of people (like phat, I think) using it in an emergency in the wilderness to start a fire. But I figured since I do my laundry like most everyone else, I'd make my own.

I don't use it in an emergency - I just use it when it's darn cold out because when I'm out in the -30 type stuff it's easier to light that with a striker and gloves on then to take them off to become dexterous enough to light matches or flick a bic..

While I could light a fire with it in an emergency, the only situations I've been in close to that where I *needed* fire in a hurry I had other materiels that were more effective. And what that really says is that when it comes to emergency fire starting, nothing on earth beats a can of gas (white gas, chainsaw gas, whatever you have on hand..) if you have no such thing, great, fall back to skills and dryer lint - don't get me wrong, I've started all kinds of fire in all kinds of weather - but if the chips are down and you have gasoline at hand.. what are you gonna do?

Of course now, You all know lighting fires with gas is dangerous - don't have a poof no eyebrows moment... and definately don't do it like this... or like this..

Edited by phat (11/23/09 06:29 PM)
Browse my pictures