I didn't realize this forum was even here! I have another unique take on this (all are unique!) as I started climbing at 12 years of age, and then climbed and backpacked my way for 35 years until finally retiring after a trip to the Bugs a few years back.
I enjoy my backpacking even more now than I did before. I always had backpacking as an access/method to get to a climb. Therefore even on off days, it wasn't the focus. I bet I missed some cool stuff with that attitude. I still loved every second of it, but it is different. Now I am absolutley enthralled with my entire experience as I walk down the trail, or explore off trail. I have a great appreciation for the peaks that I see, of possible routes, but I don't feel the rat needing to be fed!
The new platform of UL hiking is opening up another new world for me to use my skills. There are almost no paths that are closed to my travels now. Unless I actually want to bring some snow travel gear, I can now safely, and lightly just wander in the mountains like a goat. Its a truly liberating and spiritually fulfilling time. I don't miss climbing, as I had a very long and very full climbing career. I look forward now to doing some really long thur hikes, and some really off trail explorations in remote areas. And the prospect of hiking with some new folks is also exciting! Let me know if you want to get out! grin