First post here.

I hope I am not out of line saying that I echo the posts suggesting that the best way I train is to actually hike. That being said I do not have a whole lot of hiking experience. But, I do surf a lot. I have always found the best way to get back in shape for surfing ( say after a long summer small wave spell on the Florida coast) is to actually get out and paddle that surfboard. Use and condition the muscles you will be suing in the way that you will be using them.

I plan on doing my first 2 -3 day trip in the Blue Ridge Mountains ( Pisgah Forest area) next summer. Being in Florida, there isnt a whole lot of elevation to train on. Luckily we have large causeways over the Intracoastal Waterway that somewhat mimic foothills. I also have access to the stairs in the VAB (Vehicle Assembly Building- 500 or so feet tall) at the Kennedy Space Center. Hopefully I can take a full pack up there with out much security hassle smile

Go a bit further each time. Maybe even consider something similar to the runners Couch to 5K program but adapt that to hiking.