I just returned a pair of women's 2009 Montrail Hardrocks. I can't believe how flimsy and non-supportive these shoes are! My 07 Hardrocks are, for me, the perfect hiking shoe--plenty of pronation control and arch support, nice clinging heel cup, room for my hammer toes and bunions in the forefoot, plenty of cushioning on the bottom to protect from jutting rocks. In comparison, the 09's feel like bedroom slippers--no pronation control, no arch support, no real cup to the heel, too wide in the heel, no extra holes at the top so I can lace them tighter. They look really flimsy, too! I just wish I'd bought a half dozen pairs of the '07 while they were still available! The pair I have is still good but, I'm sure, won't last another backpacking season.

In the meantime, I'm looking for women's trail runners that have excellent pronation and stability control, high arch support, narrow heel, wide and high toebox. No Goretex and no boots, please. If anyone has any suggestions, please let me know. Just remember, guys, that men's and women's models of the same shoe are often completely different.

Edited by OregonMouse (10/27/09 06:44 PM)