You are an "Artist" trying to make sense of what you read when sometimes authors are unclear on what they are describing, sales and money are involved, and easily available references ma or may not be valid nor relevant.

You began the thread mixing up insensible sweat with sensible sweat. Not a good sign.

I cannot accept your interpretations of "research" you have read as of significance, especially if you don't provide links to the "research".

This is standard scientific stuff.

One takes the word of non-scientists without "fair" documentation as unreliable. It works out better that way, avoiding a lot of wasted effort. Best is to just ignore the subject and not get drawn into it. I am still working on developing that wisdom.

If you look at most of the web definitions of insensible perspiration, they are unphysical.... merely "did you notice sweating" (from the obvious liquid phase present on the surface of the skin). The various web sites appear to be copying from each other or from a common source.

This satisfies lay interests for an explanation, but inhibits clarity of understanding of hypothetical situations - such was what will happen in situations you haven't encountered before. As such, those definitions are relatively useless, from a scientific aspect as well as making predictions.

Scientifically, one expects that as temperature rises, molecular kinetic processes increase their rate. Arrhenius reaction rate theory is fundamental to the understanding of most of the temperature effects that occur. But, not always in a simple "cut and paste" fashion - the underlying phenomena can be different from the easily observed macroscopic event . So expecting insensible sweating to diminish as tenperature increases is contrary to general principles that apply to normal temperature effects in a very wide range of applications.

Just because something seems like it ought to be true isn't reason enough to believe it. (What color are electrons?)

During this "conversation", I have read from Vapor Barrier proponents that one of the reasons for lack of more widespread use of the technique is that it is too hard to explain it to the average customer, and often that sellers aren't well enough trained in it to do so.

I now fully understand this point of view, because I have fully experienced it, and believe that it is unwise to bother to explain it to people. Just, if you have learned how to adopt the VBL situation to your physiology, use it and enjoy it and keep it to yourself.

I have also learned that it was a mistake on my part to reply to you. I will not repeat that mistake.

Edited by Roocketman (10/24/09 09:16 AM)