Geez, 40 degrees I do without an underquilt all the time. It's rare for my nighttime temps in the mountains to be *above* that.

Some thoughts for you, compared to what I do..

1) I use a 27 inch wide blue foam pad in the hammock - much wider than a standard pad. (segmented pad extenders or the like would also work well)

2) I usually wear a 100 wt fleece into the hammock with me at bedtime, along with a toque (fleece hat)

3) I normally rig my ID silponcho (5x8 silnylon poncho with shockcord on the bottom) as a windblock/insulation taco under my hammock bottom. At 40F, this alone is enough for me with the pad. just the poncho providing some air gap and windblock works. below that I stuff something into it between the poncho and the hammock bottom (rain jacket, folded space blankets, etc) - colder yet I give up and put insulation in it, or even a full blown sleeping bag.

I was down to -14C this weekend (personal hammock record) with a sleeping bag between the poncho and the hammock bottom - yes that's basically an underquilt... (I also had the pad in the hammock)

Do of course bear in mind - try it. Everyone sleeps different, some warmer and colder than others.

Edited by phat (10/12/09 01:23 PM)
Browse my pictures