Originally Posted By Rick

I'd like a new set of 260 gm/m wool long johns. Very expensive. $200+ so some serious consideration is needed.

Rick, I've looked at these longingly too, but I've come back to always just using my usual winter underlayer, which is a set of medium synthetics, under my "shrek" pants - allow me to explain..

A number of years ago my wife and I did a halloween costume where we went as Shrek and Fiona - She already has the red hair and made the green dress. I shaved my head and colored myself green. we sewed up costume.. if you look at Shrek, he has tartan "tights" on his legs. So what we did for the costume was sew some form fitting bottoms out of the only thing we could find that was the right tartan (you gotta have the right tartan). and that thing was 200 wt fleece. The result is I have a very nicely fitting pair of 200 wt fleece "long johns. which have since been on more cold weather trips than they have halloween parties.

Anyway, I like the wool, but the fleece works as well or better for this purpose without the cost, as long as it's decently form fitting.

Of course the tartan is also extra stylish grin
Browse my pictures