Well, I just got back from being out for four days. I wouldn't call it "Winter" yet but it was definately past shoulder season smile

unfortunately no pics, since I forgot the camera, but my thermometer hit a low of -14 centigrade. I was out with my dad using my golite shangri-la 3, and my hammock. I was sleeping in the hammock. I had my little round wood stove (http://bofh.ucs.ualberta.ca/beck/pictures/hothex) in my shangri-la. I've modified the stove to use two snow stakes as the front support, and the rear of the stove now attaches to my vertical pole in the shangri-la with a pipe clamp - works great!

Interestingly, I managed well in the hammock - it was definately the coldest night I have slept out in one, normally I choose to go to ground earlier instead of fighting it. The weather predictions were not initially for as cold as it was, but I did fine. I had a wide (27") blue foam pad in the hammock, with my exped wallcreeper Primaloft bag rigged under the hammock with my ID silponcho as an underquilt and windblock. Inside the hammock I wore my MEC waffle weave heavy synthetic long underwear, a synthetic long underwear top, merino wool top, and a 200 wt fleece and a toque, I used my MEC Cygnet bag (-10C rated down). in the hammock. I was actually warm and comfy and slept well. While I'd not want to
go much colder with the same rig, I'm slowly warming to the idea that with a big thicker and larger underquilt I might be able to hammock down into deep deep winter temps - we'll see how silly I get this winter.

Browse my pictures