What you may have discovered for yourself is the idea of wrapping food in foil, not the idea of cooking food in a hole in the ground.

This from wikipedia: "En Papillote (French: "in parchment") is a method of cooking in which the food is put into a folded pouch or parcel and then baked. The parcel is typically made from folded parchment paper, but other material such as a paper bag or aluminium foil may be used. The parcel holds in moisture to steam the food. The moisture may be from the food itself or from an added moisture source like water, wine, or stock. En Papillote is perhaps most often used to cook fish and also poultry. Choice of herbs, seasonings and spices depend on the particular recipe being prepared."

It can be a very convenient, if not light, way to do camp cooking. I've done whole sweet potato/yams, a 'crustless' apple pie, store-bought biscuits, etc. by wrapping them and dropping them on/beside the coals. Much of the food was prepared and prewrapped at home. And while coals were necessary, a hole in the ground was not.

Do a Google search. The last time I did I found dozens and dozens of recipes for foil wrapped food including a collectors' item book, Manifold Destiny which provides instruction for putting the foil pack on your engine block to find a hot meal at the end of your drive. grin

FB

Edited by Fiddleback (10/11/09 12:43 PM)