Originally Posted By hatidua
Originally Posted By Bushman
I think those Japanese fishing rods are a joke.... my reel+rode set up is less than 2 pounds...if anyone that much of a gram weeny you should find a new hobby.

If your looking for a more challenging way to fish thats cool...

Well, I was trying to be a tad more diplomatic but you cut through the fluff!

Actually I disagree. 2 pounds is basically 1/10th of my packweight. Add a few of those "extras" and suddenly I'm carrying a lot more.

It's not to say that 2 pounds is good or bad - depends on how much utility you get for that weight - it's not strictly a weight thing, it's a cost benefit thing.

And it *will* depend on what kind of flyfishing you are actually doing. If I'm trying to throw weighted wooly buggers halfway across the Bow river for football sized rainbows, or do long distance casting on an open lake, I need a *heck* of a lot more rod than I need for some bank dip nymphing and short dry fly casting in small waters.

So are you being a "gram weenie" by worrying about 2 pounds of rod? it depends on what you're doing. *most* of my backcountry fishing 2 pounds of rig would be excessive. Some not so.

Do remember you're on a lightweight backpacking forum. Most of us who have done this for a while are "gram weenies" - most of us who stick with it are "gram weenies" not for that as our sole purpose and end, but we are "gram weenies" for our own comfort, and I think you'll find that the experienced gram weenies get more weight savings by ensuring what they take is *appropriate* for what they want to do and not *excessive*, rather than just *lighter*

Browse my pictures