Kevon, MSR snowshoes are a much different design than other shoes. They are one size with an add-on tail for heavier users. The main difference among their models is the style of crampons on them and the heel lifters that make climbing in them easier. My ski bindings have a similar lifter for skinning uphill, which I haven't actually used yet, so no idea how effective they are.

The snow in CA is heavier than in CO, so you might think about a more traditional shoe-by that I don't necessarily mean big wooden shoes like they use in Canada, but a more traditional design like Tubbs or Atlas that has more flotation than an MSR. In Canada, the winter campers often use traditional wooden shoes without crampons on them because the snow is fluffy and they aren't really going up and down that much.

I used some Redfeathers in Yosemite last winter in deep fluff and they worked just fine. Not sure what size-I got the biggest ones I could rent and I'm only 135 or so, but I was towing out my sled and had a pack on as well.

If you go to Snowshoe Magazine (I posted the link above) you will find a list of manufacturers with a lot of different shoes to look at.

Faber makes traditional and hi-tech shoes. This chart on their website is a good guide to different shoes for different conditions.
http://www.fabersnowshoes.com/vitrine/fabersite/activeservice?value=generic1&stl=en

Edited by TomD (09/22/09 01:56 AM)