The idea that snowshoes have less of a learning curve is sort of true, but it depends greatly on the person and even more so on the terrain. If you have good balance and are moderately athletic generally, AND you're on easy terrain (gentle or no slopes, not densely forested or brushy) then I'd bet you can cover more ground your first day on skis than you can your first day on snowshoes. you won't be a very good skier the first day, but the inherently greater efficency of skiing makes up for that. On the other had, if the terrain is up and down or densely forested, it's a totally different story, and you'll find snowshoes much easier to get started on. I have no idea whether you have easy access to any ski instruction, but it would help a lot if you are interested. I'm not trying to push skiing as inherently superior to snowshoeing, it's just that for a lot of siutations you can cover more ground more easily on skis.
If you think snowshoes are the way to go, you may want to rent some and try them out before buying. I have some MSR snowshoes, which I haven't used in years because I'm on skis instead, but when I did use them I thought they were great. The current similar model is this:
http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___38696
I like them because they are simple and have lots of traction - due to the fact that the frame has traction as well as the cleats underfoot. Have fun! Oh, and you'll need poles, whether snowshoeing or skiing.