Steven...

Like everyone else has said, absolutely the best way to train for hiking is to hike. If you can't climb hills, climb stairs, but walk as much as you can. I agree about working to core muscles too... I like to use a balance board to work my core plus knees hips and ankles. This past winter my SO and I walked an indoor track for an hour 3-5 times per week, plus used the balance board. When the trails solidified this spring we started hiking a loop close to where I live. The elevation gain is a modest 700 feet, but there are several ups and downs while gaining the elevation. When we started this spring we huffed our way through the shortest version of the loop. Now we go out for 2 hours at a time taking the logest series of trails we can and barely feel like we've exercised at all. Going back to the track this winter will require us to add weights if we want to maintain the level of fitness we've gained this summer. We're considering a trek up Kilimanjaro, but that might have to be put off a couple more years if we don't do it in 2010.

MNS

P.S. Congratulations on the 40 lb weight loss... that is great for you!!!!