I agree wholeheartedly about biking and to a lesser extent about the weights. Given an opportunity, I will hike rather than lift weights; to me weight work is kind of boring.

I have a pretty well fixed regimen that I follow unless I am on a hike. I bike for an hour to nearly two hours 3-5 days per week. I use a heart rate monitor and keep my HR at about 75% of maximum. On these days plus on the days I don't bike, I walk mild hills for 40 to 80 minutes.

I also live about 20 minutes from a 9600' mountain range and I will hike the trails there 1-2 times per week with a 15 lb pack; except during the heat of the summer. I live at about 3400' which helps a small amount with altitude but not as much as when I lived at 7000' in Flagstaff.

I do a set of leg weight exercises, squats, lunges and toe raises, every other day. I also have a set of body core exercises, planks, crunches and push-ups, that I do on the days I don't do weights.

I am at an age where joint problems are more likely than are muscle problems so I warm up some before I start anything and quit if it starts to hurt. The hurting is more common now than when I was in my 60's.

Right now, I am fighting off a case of plantar fasciitis in my right foot and a painfully arthritic joint in my left foot. Too much hard use and I can barely walk so I am easing off a bit in prep for a week in the Sierra; leaving in two days.

Getting old ain't for sissies! frown