I agree with Matt about the once or twice a year backpacker. I put myself in that class. I started out at age 16 on an OB course (it was either that or military school), where we lugged 80 lb canoes on our shoulders over 1/2 mile portages. I weighed about 120 pounds back then, so arduous "lugging" and "backpacking" were hardwired in me for quite some time. I just never thought about weight much. My wife is a NOLS grad and we've gone backpacking about every third year (Yellowstone, Newfoundland, Pecos Wilderness, Porcupine Mts, Jasper). The last trip to Jasper was painful for me as I'm now over 50. There I was with my Kelty Super Tioga carrying a four-person Eureka tent you could stand up in. I should mention I've had an incomplete spinal cord injury for 35 years, so balance is a bit tricky (thank god for trekking poles). We decided to go to Glacier this year and I went out to the garage to sort through the gear, remembering past sufferings. I thought there had to be a better way to do this and started looking around and doing a little research. I saw an article in Backpacker about load lightening on the AT. One of the few advantages of my aging is more expendable income, so the Kelty packs are on the shelf replaced with Granite Gear, a couple of Thermarest Neo-Airs. The Eureka was replaced with a Big Agnes Copper Spur and an XT Lightning (there are 5 of us now). The Sierra Designs synthetic bags gave way to Feathered Friends. There's still a ways to go to lighten up and I am learning a helluva lot from all of your knowledge on this forum. So thanks a lot people!! I now believe I can keep wandering into the wilderness for years to come and that makes me really happy.