If you are heading into regions where water is plentiful, gravity filters are great. For the Fourth I went with my hiking group to a subalpine lake and used my ULA amigo pro filter to fill platypus and nalgene soft sided containers. I watched my friends go back and forth to the lake each meal to pump water while I made one trip per day to get the gallon and a half of water that was more than adequate for my needs. I find that flowing water works best to fill the bag with the least amount of effort. Camp filtering with the right connector and bladder becomes "set it and forget it" and I can go collect wood, set up the stove, nap in the hammock, or take pictures while it fills the bladder to capacity and stops. I've taken it day hiking and have found that it filters in about the same time it takes others to assemble, pump, disassemble and put away their MSR filters. And if I take out the filter and put in the little shower head, I can have a minute or two of backcountry showering.

However, in fall when sources start to dwindle, a pump filter sometimes becomes easier than spooning or bailing smaller amounts into the gravity filter. I don't think I would want to take the amigo pro into a desert, for example. I have a Hiker Pro (takes the same filter cartridge as the amigo) for trips where water resources may be minimal.

http://hikeandbackpack.com