Hooray for you! With me, it was a bum knee rather than my back, but the story is the same. After I injured it (tore most of the ligaments X-C skiing), I was basically unable to backpack any more with 40-50 lb. loads. Lightweight gear has allowed me to return to backpacking. My fully-loaded pack for an 8-9 day trip is now down to about 25 lbs. There are always a few more ounces you can shave. The "27-lb, 7-day gear list" on the home page of this site (left column) and other articles there deserve nearly all the credit!

Some of the most exciting trips I've been on have involved introducing my grandkids to backpacking. It's a real thrill and, IMHO, one of the best contributions we can make to the future of our country's wild and scenic places.

It's important at our ages to keep moving and keep physically fit (use it or lose it!). Finis Mitchell, pioneer outfitter and wilderness advocate of Wyoming's Wind River Range, said it best: "We don't stop hiking because we get old; we get old because we stop hiking." (I hope I got that right; I didn't look up the exact wording.)

Edited by OregonMouse (06/21/09 03:31 PM)