I HAVE a ti frying pan! I have tried every method I could think of and ended up buying a bigger and heavier pan for serious fishing trips. I usually fish in the Wind Rivers where you can have fires and the thicker pan just works better. I cut rations to 1 pound per person per day because we usually can catch tons of fish any time we need to. The ti pot is too small to fry fish for two or more people, especially when the fish are 15-inch or bigger. Life's tough when all you get are large fish! When I do a fishing trip in the Winds, I go with other people so we share the weight of one good frying pan (and they help me do things like tying on my fly - hard for old eyes like mine - wow, a whole new discussion for the over-the-hill forum). I now need a magnifying glass to thread the needle when sewing.

In the Sierra, where I usually go solo, and when fishing is secondary, I usually catch very little because I simply am not that good of a fisherman, I take the ti pot or just put up with boiled fish.

Hey, grease IS a part of my regular rations all the time. I do not like breaded fish, so do not take flour. OK, I admit, I take a wee bit more grease when fishing.

By the way, my light fly reel is a Berkley 554, whatever that is! I am not a gear head. My ex-husband, who is an expert fisherman, gave me the reel 30 years ago. I am not sure they even make it anymore. With the new light materials, you should be able to find something even lighter. I suspect the line ends of weighing more than the empty reel so cutting back on the length of line really helps.