TomK
Do they make 2-piece 7 footers? I would be fishing small streams, and don't really need the power of a longer rod."
The short rods might be called nymphing rods and small water is where they are used, often with just a leader, as in - who needs a reel? I mean for light weight - don't take a reel, just a bit of line since you handle the line with your hand anyway when fishing. When I was a kid we fished with cane poles and a bobber - and did I say that I caught more fish on my cane pole than with all of my fly gear put together?

First consider what weight rod you want. I might be inclined to go really light, like a 2 or 3 weight 7 footer 2 piece. In small water you get small fish, and a 6" trout on a 5wt isn't a lot of fun, but a 4wt is better. I've never fished a 2 weight, I think I borrowed a 3wt one time. Have you considered making your own rod? If you do, get a quality blank and a fine reel seat and use a rod turner to do the glueing. I made my 4 wt and it came out well.

Yeh you don't need any power in the rod for nymphing. Oh yes, the best fishing I ever had while backpacking. I had a piece of monofiliment, a couple hooks, a few lead split shot and a half full bottle of salmon eggs. I tied the line to a branch about 3 feet long as a rod. Then I floated salmon eggs in the current of a tiny stream and ate 10 small trout for dinner. I let the turtle go.

Don't think you need a fancy outfit to fish while backpacking.
Jim crazy