I'd like to hear your thoughts. Basically here is what I'm interested in doing. This past weekend I went fishing with two buddies of mine up in the mountains of Japan. It was a pretty nice creek/stream. We were fishing for char and seema. We were using waders to traverse the water. However, some areas are hard to access. For example, the water gets really deep and there are cliffs on either side making it hard to get across.

What we were doing was climbing out of the stream and taking a little hike up the cliffs. However, the cliffs are pretty steep and some are unclimbable. In fact we all felt it was quite dangerous what we were doing. So I had an idea of next time going, getting like a water proof bag and putting all my gear in it. Getting out of my waders and then swimming across the section. Then I remembered that in Japan there is a hobby called "Shower Climbing." It is similar to canyoneering, except that you climb up a river as opposed to down. I remember that Montbell had a shower climbing section and they have some water proof bags.

So I was thinking that I would get the appropriate clothing and trade in my wader for some neoprene swimming gear and shoes, and then I would get one of their water proof bags. This way I wouldn't have to change out of my wader or do anything. I would always be in "amphibious mode" and could travel up and down the river unhindered.

I'm looking at purchasing Montbell's 30L shower climbing bag. I'm wondering if a 30L weekend pack is feasible. I'm not so much concerned with weight as I'm concerned with packability. For example, what type of shelter packs down really well? Sleeping bag?

Here is what I'm thinking so far:
Shelter, sleeping bag, sleeping pad, stove and fuel, change of clothes, rain gear, water bladder, food, fishing gear.

So if you were in my situation what are some types of gear decisions you would make? I'm interested to hear some ideas. Are there things I don't really need to bring with me? Things I should bring that I'm not thinking about? Any ideas?