Hi all! Been lurking here for several weeks now and figured it was time for me to finally introduce myself. I used to do quite a bit of backpacking and canoeing as a kid in the scouts as well as a few trips to the Adirondaks as a 20 something and have recently deceided that its time to hit the trail again after a long absence. Most of my gear is ancient and ill suited to any serious mileage. I am looking to try a few long weekend treks in the Smokies and have a few questions about gear. I have found a great deal of valuable information on this site but a few nagging questions persist. What is the purpose of a wind shirt and can anyone give me a good example of this piece of clothing. I am aware of layering principals and modern fabrics as a skier and former soldier in the army, but the concept of a windshirt is foreign to me. I could also use some assistance in my serch for a new lightweight shelter. I currently have a Eureka timberline that I'm sure you'll all consider too darn heavy for a serious backpacker. I am looking at inexpensive alternatives or alterations to my current setup. The idea of a tarp sounds intriguing, however, I haven't found a cheap means of dealing with the bug problem yet. Any and all suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!