I keep completely separate fishing gear for when I backpack and when I'm just plain fishing. Most places you hike to will have much smaller fish. Therefore you don't need so much tackle or equipment.

Here is what I recommend for packing:

Telescoping Rod These rods collapse very small and don't take up too much space. A conventional two or three piece rod sticks way out of your pack and tends to get caught up in things while you hike.

Small spinning reel All you need is a small reel with a low-strength line. 6 lbs test line is more than enough for the cutthroat and brook trout you may run in to at mountain lakes.

3-4 lures I keep my lures in a small tin. I only take a couple with me. A couple small spoons, and a couple small Mepp's style lures seem to do the trick for me. The tin is important because it is much smaller than a tackle box, and protects your gear from the hooks.

That is about all you really need to fish a mountain lake. It can be way more complex if you want to get in to flyfishing or anything like that. Always start simple. If you like it then you can start getting more advanced from there. Sometimes on one night trips you may want to consider bringing a can of worms and some bait hooks, but they will only last about a day when it's warm.

Good luck. Have fun fishing.