Jason
My guess is that if you were out snowshoeing when you ran into the skiers, that they were backcountry skiers off trail. If you wish to get out of prepared tracks, you will not be happy with cheap light thin edgeless skis. In fact they would be a complete waste of money.

Follow local wisdom. In changing conditions the wrong wax is worse than fish scales. In the west it can go from ice to soft wet snow, and back to ice, in the same day, or the same mile. In scandinavia you can ski all day long in the same conditions.

There is a realm of skiing out of the track, up the slope, but not quite into telemark. You do not need telemark gear for back country skiing, but it will work much better than track skis will in the back country. When I teach people I tell them to ask for light telemark boots and fully edged skis. It seems the best beginner combination and people know what you mean. Its gonna be a season or two before you're cutting turns down isolated avolanche slopes...
Jim