Has anyone considered the 100 mile diet, where you try to only eat food produced and processed and packaged all within 100 miles of where you live, with of course the least amount of processing and packaging? Could it still work while hiking?

I understand that hiking is only a small part of our total calories, and impact, but I like to think it is one of the best opportunities I have to practice living well.

I think it could work here, in New Brunswick, where I hike.

My main staples are stuff like oats, lentils, skim milk powder, honey, raisins, currants, dried veggies. Of that, the honey is local for sure. Not sure about the other stuff. Probably not. Probably could be though, if I looked into it. I might have to switch from lentils to split peas, which would be an easy switch. Also maybe local organic oats and stuff rather than quacker oats, but it doesn't cost that much more.

From what I have read however, the transportation doesn't take as much energy as alot of other stuff, like fertilizers, conversion of plants to meat, and over processing and over packaging. I think we should look to local alternatives, but the other stuff is more important. We have McCain foods here for example, but I don't think frozen pizzas are the answer.

I would like to know what local foods, not overprocessed,
would be good for hiking. Anyone else considered such things?