Hello,

I've been using a GG vapor trail for the last couple of years (long distance hikes) and am quite pleased with it, needs a wash though sick. But in an attempt to further reduce my overal weight i'm looking for a new pack.

Is use a TT rainbow, max POE max thermo 6 reg(looking for a small one) and arklight pipedream 400 as my big 4. Would like a capacity of 5-7 days of food. I hang my 1l platy holster on a strap with 2 small carabiners so it doesn't dangle around all the time and occaciosionally put a second platy in a side pocket.

The pack needs to be able to carry around 25 pounds max. on a rare occasion 30, but i want a pack that puts most of the weight on the hips. A lot of pictures you see with the UL frameless packs, has the packs pulling away from the shoulders, which i feel (no experience though) is all but comfy.

I've been checking out Gossamer Gear (Mariposa plus 2008), ULA (conduit, relay), MLD (zip, exodus) SMD (starlite, comet, essence, Golite Jam2 (2008) and GG Virga. MChale out of the question.

They almost all but SMD and GG lack load lifters, brings the pack closer to your back, which i prefer.
The Gossamer Gear mariposa + uses the most fragile fabric of all. The golite Jam2 is the cheapest of the bunch and can be picked up secondhand, but i have concerns about the hip belt efficiency and the lack of load lifters. The ULA and MLD packs are superbly crafted, but pricier for me (although it's possible to find a relay secondhand i think). SMD is the heaviest of the bunch. GG virga lacks a good hipbelt.

Another problem i have is that i live in Europe, so i can't try-fit any of them, and it drives the price up signifficantly. For example i would have to pay around 220 bucks for a ULA conduit with hipbelt pockets and handloops. For the MLD or SMD packs it's about 265 and if it's a bad fit, costs for shipping it back and habing another size shipped. But i can get a Jam2 from the uk or secondhand for a third of that or the Gossamer Gear mariposa plus for half. Budget is importent too.

I also read a comment from Brian of ULA on another forum was that the frameless packs are designed to ride high, which is not what i want.

Edited by jorgoz (02/04/09 09:35 AM)