Hi All,
This is sort of a sequel to Jasons free gear post. BTW I love his survivor stud videos and have a the photo of him in my collection, posing as a dead man in the desert with his Bowie knife still in his hand. Thanks Jason

Anyway I watched with some interest as Jason showed us many free camping devices. I have to question the theory here.

When I was a boy scout, Be Prepared meant do not take important pieces of gear that may break and leave you without one - like a plastic fork or a styrofoam cup. If you don't feel that you need a cup or spoon, don't take them, but if you take them because you feel that you need them, then take something rugged enough to last through the trip and maybe the next. A thin metal spoon of fork weigh very little, as does an unbreakable one cup plastic top from a thermos bottle.

That said - I sometimes like to go on "survival" trips or "native" trips where I take very minimal gear, but I do it for fun, challenge, to do something different, and I have the skills to do without most of my gear anyway - gear just makes it more comfortable and fun. smile

I am a bit unsettled that newbie campers watch your clever video and think "Hey I don't need no stinking reliable gear - Jason said so." What is the purpose of this concept? confused

Do people actually take free "Disposable" products camping to save weight? I kinda like the idea of keeping my pack packed with gear that I expect to be there and to function throughout the length of my trip. mad

Maybe I don't actually need a fork or a spoon, but they weigh so little, why eat with my hands and dribble down my jacket? crazy

Jim YMMV crazy

ps Now salt and pepper packets and cream from fast food places does make sense since they are consumable anyway.