As others have said, don't sweat too hard getting all your gear perfect. Use the gear you have and you'll know from the get-go if you need to ditch it asap, or if you can make it work for what you want it to do. Getting out there is waaaaaaay more important than owning all the best gear.

Starting solo is a bit trickier than starting out with an experienced partner, or even another newbie for a partner, but it isn't out of the question if you start in small, easy steps.

First, read up a bit. Make a list of what you think you'll need, or find a gear list on the internet and modify it to suit what you actually own or can borrow or buy. Assemble your stuff, without food, and get acquainted with it. The last place you want to be the first time you light your stove or put up your tent is 15 miles from the nearest road. It's a great idea to spend your first solo night in your own backyard.

Continue to come here and chat about issues as you have questions.

If you can't locate a hiking partner, plan a short hike - maybe two or three miles from your car - for your first experience. It isn't rocket science, but it might feel a bit daunting at first.

And good luck. I've been soloing since I was 19 years old. I'm 54 now and the bears and cougars haven't got me, yet. shocked