That would largely depend on when and where you are planning this or these hiking trips.I always layer clothing no matter what time of year it is. I live near Tennessee and North Carolina and sometimes it can still be pretty chilly in the summer months up in the mountains. I have always lived with the philosophy that you can take it off but you can't put it on if you don't take it. I also would make sure that I always had some light weight rain gear. At least a poncho or something you could wear for a top. I very seldom put on my rain pants unless I am walking in the downpour for a long period of time. I wear a pair of sock liners and a synthetic pair of hiking socks and always carry two dry pair of each. If my feet and socks get wet I just change into a dry pair and hang the wet pair on the outside of my pack until they dry. That way I will always have a reasonably fresh pair of liners and socks no matter what. Trust me, you do not want to be 30-40 miles from no where and start getting blisters on your feet.Wear a good pair of trail shoes or hiking shoes. Your feet can be your savior.As far as pants and shirt, I usually wear a pair of 100% nylon convertible pants that are very light and will dry very quickly. I normally wear the same type of shirt and I always carry a bandanna or two. They can come in real handy for a number of things. For a hat I have a Outdoor Research "Sombrero". It's light and water proof and will for the most part keep the sun off your neck and face.. Hope this helps....sabre11004...

The first step that you take will be one of those that get you there !!!!!