Hi All

Please bear with me. I have gone on extended trips requiring dried food and stuff due to the weight, and I have eaten Ramen for ten days.

But Generally I get to go out for 1 or 2 nights so why eat stuff meant for harsh long distance trips?

I find that just eating normal fully hydrated eat at home food often requiring no cooking at all, I require a MAXIMUM of 1.5 pounds of food per day. For 4 pounds of food including snacks, chocolate, coffee and real meals - often a rib eye steak with golden egg noodles (the ONLY dried food I will carry besides my coffee and milk, I can enjoy 3 days camped. My Titanium pans don't weigh much and I prefer cooking over soaking my food. It tastes better and I believe you will get more strength from real food than highly processed food.

I have not the experience to know - but would 4 pounds of real food = 1.5lb of freeze dried? I'd rather carry an extra 2.5 pounds of real food and eat fresh, for a weekend trip.

And finally, you only carry the food one way, its expendable weight so you kinda gotta divide its weight by two to get "effective weight". A 3 pound rabbit for 2 people is a very weight effective way to eat awesome camp food. Cooking a rabbit over a campfire is true Daniel Boone type fun.
Jim crazy

Edited by Jimshaw (01/18/09 02:47 PM)