I'd say that is what I tend to see on the trail. People with heavier packs, even than myself. I still carry in between 28-35 lbs depending on trip length and climate, but I'm young and enjoy hauling around the extra weight. I always see people carrying tents that are bigger than they need and people with half the kitchen utensils and cookware stuffed in their packs.

I think it is simply because most folks doing one or two trips a year and don't bother milling over how to make their gear lighter or altering their packing list. I don't blame them. They're just trying to get away from the city and enjoy something a little less complicated and doing what they think the activity requires of them.

I'm sure they go pick up an issue or two or "Backpacker Magazine," read through it to see what's new and what kind of new fancy stuff is out there, look at what all the advertisements have folks carrying and then look at their own stuff and think that what they've got looks about right compared.

But, as far as I'm concerned, you can carry all you want into the middle of nowhere if you want as long as you're out there to enjoy the environment you're walking through in a respectful manner.